As we kiss 2012 goodbye, many of the sweet cake inspirations from this year will continue strong into the new year, taken to a whole new level of color and flavor. Here are 10 predictions for wedding cakes and desserts, 2013-style:
1. Mint–Not only will the color be visible in icings and accoutrements but in the flavor itself. Think Vanilla Peppermint Buttercream, Chocolate Mint Cake with Creme de Menthe Filling or dainty Spearmint Macaroons on a dessert table.
2. 20’s Glamour / Art Deco–Lots of romantic, vintage designs with pearls and lace, made modern with clean, art-deco inspired lines.
3. Ritzy Ranch–Rustic and natural turns formal, with plenty of bark mixing with black tie. Think tree slab cake stands and faux birch bark fondant.
4. Birds–From cake toppers to cake-encasing cages, birds are singing out everywhere. Hand-painted cakes with delicate bird designs recall romantic vintage appeal and natural images.
5. Neon and Rainbows–Colors get bold this year with mixed pallets reminiscent of the 80’s. Look for color to translate into flavor as well–raspberry, strawberry, peach, blueberry and orange.
6. Sugar Succulents–Striking sugar flowers made frilly and romantic continue to be a popular trend, however the succulent cousin is hot on the scene.
7. Ombre and Ruffles–These popular, flirty looks of 2012 will continue on and compliment ombre wedding flowers, bridesmaid dresses and vintage decor.
8. The Dessert Table–“Mini Menus” continue to gain popularity, from savory to sweet offerings. Cakes get scaled back in stature, but find themselves surrounded by attractive offerings of miniature desserts, from jar pies to cake shots and cream puffs.
9. Prints and Patterns–Chevron, houndstooth, dots, stripes and even paisley make a comeback. Graphic fondant designs or elaborate piping achieve the effect.
10. All that Glitters–Metallics are still on fire, so look for flashy gold and silver cake designs for eye-catching formal impact.